Unbelievable Chicken “All-in-One” Casserole
Okay – this is REALLY GOOD. Unbelievably good, in my opinion – with that opinion shared by my husband. It is a WOW. It gets even better when leftover and it goes especially well with strongly-flavored vegetable such as fiddle heads (in the spring when you can get them) or Brussels sprouts. Click HERE for my fiddlehead recipe that goes with this casserole perfectly.
Click HERE for the original recipe on Allrecipes.com, a site that I love.
Here is my version. It is not much different from the original except that I added shallots and changed the amounts of some of the ingredients. I am sure that the original is just as fabulous.
Here are the veggies and chicken breast pre-chopped - food art! 🙂
And here they are chopped, plus the RV olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast (2 halves) cut into small cubes
- 8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 medium zucchinis, cubed (about 2 cups)
- 2 small or one large sweet potato/yam, cut into cubes (about 2 cups)
- 3 medium red potatoes, cut into cubes (about 2 1/2 cups)
- * 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs (you can Make Your Own and add your own seasoning.)
- 1 cup cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I used parm reggiano)
- * 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a baking dish with a bit of olive oil.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir the chicken and mushrooms until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 15 minutes.
Seasoned and ready to mix with the veggies et al
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat and stir in the zucchini, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and 1/4 cup of olive oil; transfer to the prepared baking dish.
Note that I mixed everything in a separate bowl - the 12 inch fry pan was too small!
THEN it went into the 9 x 13" three quart baking dish
- Bake in the preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork about 1 hour.
And, here it is, half-eaten. It smelled so good that I forgot to take a picture before serving it.
- half gone, and the leftovers were even better!
This really was incredible. Try it! Providing you like chicken, sweet potato, Parmesan cheese, and the other ingredients, the depth of flavor in this casserole will blow you away.